Username:  Remember me?
Password:

Post subject: A government and politics GCSE
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Was there a government and politics GCSE at one time? It might have been called something else like British Government. There is an A Level in government and politics but there doesn't seem to be a similar GCSE.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
 Post subject: Re: A government and politics GCSE
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:48 am 

I can very vaguely recall that there could have been an O Level called British government. It might not have made it to the GCSE era. Check out IGCSEs and overseas O Levels because they have some unusual subjects not offered at GCSE. What is the reason why you are so interested?

Share this information
  • Print view this post
 Post subject: Re: A government and politics GCSE
Post Number:#3  PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

I'm looking for ideas to formulate an elementary course about the workings of the British government for young teenagers through to adults. The government and politics A Level is far too deep and technical for use as an introduction. What I'm interested in are topics like different levels of government and what they are responsible for; the executive, legislative, and judiciary branches of government; the way the election system works; how Parliament works and passes laws; the function of the House of Lords; the EU and (all the horrid) things it imposes on Britain; local government and councils; the various civil service departments; and the powers of the Monarch amongst other things. It is not intended for the purposes of gaining a qualification but as a useful life skill. I hold the opinion that if more people had a reasonably good knowledge of the workings of the government then it will significantly increase interest in politics and participation in civic life. There is a belief that the public are put off politics because it is boring but I think the real problem is that the political system is so bewildering and confusing it comes across as intimidating.

Share this information
  • Print view this post